Friday, November 9, 2012

Inspiration Friday: Craft Rooms!

I am very lucky to have a whole room for sewing and other crafts.  The finished attic was definitely a selling point of our house.  We knew we wanted a "bonus room" where I could work on projects and not have to clean everything up at the end of the day.  It is really great being able to leave projects that are still in progress out on the cutting table or near the sewing machine.

There's only one big problem with the room... the window looking out over the backyard is old, rotten, and leaky.  We've known this since we moved into the house, but in Hurricane Sandy it realy became obvious that we need to fix it!  Granted, that was an extreme weather event, but seriously, the enter wall is soaked through. 

So, we are looking for a contractor to not only fix the structural issues with that wall and window, but also to replace the sheetrock and really finish off the space in a polished way.  Oh, and while we're up there, we're hoping to add new insulation under the roof and maybe even install some sort of cooling system so that it's actually possible to be up there during the HOT summers here!

I have already bought a few storage pieces that I love, and have some artwork in mind.  But it is always fun to dream about creating beautiful pieces in a beautiful new studio!

I love this streamlined and perfectly organized storage:


I know Ikea has cubbies like this (we had one in our old apartment).  I don't know if we could fit something like this up the steep staircase to our attic, but I have something similar that I think will work.... if only I can convince my husband to try getting it up there!

I thought this was a cool idea to put wallpaper or fabric behind the shelves to add some life:


And, although I'm not a big fan of shabby chic, the idea of putting beads and small embelishments into old salt and pepper and tiny other tiny glass containers is so sweet.  These are the kinds of things you always see at estate sales for a dollar because most people think they only need one set!


I also love the idea of having narrow shelves for artwork.  It is very clean, and makes it super easy to change out the pieces periodically.


Now, we just have to completely gut and redo our attic!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I'm so sorry! We discovered a roof leak during Sandy...and we'll be needing new drywall over the shower in my bathroom! But, we were already working on redoing the bathrooms (and living room, and dining room, and backyard, and hall!)! Ugh...at least we've finally get things moving a bit!
    But...so exciting to redo the space! That insulation / cooling concept will be really exciting next summer! Can't wait to sew up there with you! In the meantime, we should sew here...I've got an extra machine, so you could just bring you! :)

    ReplyDelete